Healthcare Management Administration
Healthcare Administration is an industrial sector which involves heading and managing health care centers such as hospitals and diagnostic center. This field is also known as health management administration or simply healthcare systems management. Healthcare administrators are required because they need to manage the proceedings and other business related aspects of a medical center. Since doctors and nurses are busy helping save lives, healthcare administration is essential to keep any health care system running smoothly. There are different career choices corresponding to the advanced method of treatment that is evolving as of today. A master’s degree in Healthcare Administration is the accepted standard of education for landing a very well paying job but specialization options are available. Owing to the various types of health and wellness centers coming up today you won’t have to face any hurdle if you’re searching for a career in Healthcare Administration.
Top Healthcare Administration Schools
- Degree programs and specialized concentrations based on the current and expected demand for professionals in a broad range of disciplines.
- Dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.
- A growing network of established professionals, motivated career switchers and young aspiring professionals.
- The place to begin personal and professional achievement.
- Associate of Science in Health Administration Services
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
- Master of Health Administration/Sustainability Management
- Master of Health Administration - Sustainability Management
- AA in Health Administration
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Leadership
- Ph.D. in Health Services- Health Care Administration
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Self-Designed
- And more...
Earn Your Degree from U.S. News & World Report-Ranked Florida Tech – 100% Online
Grounded in a tradition of excellence since 1958, a degree from Florida Tech puts you in good company. With a longstanding reputation of unmatched academics, Florida Tech has educated NASA scientists, CEOs of Fortune 500 companies and highly decorated military generals. Join distinguished alumni and empower yourself with a career-building degree that employers value.
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
- MBA Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MHA - Health Care Operations
- DrPH - Health Advocacy and Leadership
- DHA - Health Care Leadership
- And more...
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Master of Public Health
Ultimate Medical Academy (UMA) offers industry-relevant knowledge and training for in demand careers in healthcare.
Jobs in healthcare and social assistance are projected to have the fastest job growth between 2010-2020 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.* In order to address the rapidly growing need for career-ready professionals in many exciting fields, UMA offers associate degrees that can be earned in as few as 15 months.
- A.S. - Health & Human Services
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Graduate Certificate-Health Services Management
All the healthcare administration and management programs are not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). Therefore it is strongly recommended that you take up a healthcare administration program that has been recognized by the CAHME of your state. There are no diploma’s awarded. The two types of degrees commonly awarded are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management: A bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration will help you get a job as an assistant. This is a 3 year course which includes an internship from a healthcare institute. The course includes topics on management of health care services and statistics, nursing informatics and health insurance claim management. This degree will fetch a healthcare administrator an entry-level position but still pays well (approximately $78,000 a year). Graduates from this program are ready for employment in ambulatory and emergency services, government healthcare facilities, health maintenance groups and hospitals.
- Master’s degree in Healthcare Management : This degree prepares the candidate for handling the financial and marketing duties in medical sectors. But the advantage lies in the level of expertise. This program capacitates the healthcare administrator to make decision that will steer the healthcare system in a specified course. The curriculum includes topics on financing, policy implementation, technological improvements, establishing research and development, strategic planning to adapt to the economy and bring about budget regulations.
- Doctorate level of education in Healthcare Administration: Is offered by a very few colleges only. A PH.D in Healthcare Administration is required only for very high profile jobs such as a CEO of a healthcare management service; although it isn’t mandatory, it provides more insight to various techniques to be successful in this business.
Some of the universities offer scholarships in healthcare administration from their own funds. These scholarships are awarded to those candidates who clear an aptitude test. Currently the scholarships are awarded to help candidates complete a master’s degree in Healthcare Management.
Blooming Careers in Healthcare Administration
Healthcare Administration is closely related to business administration. Your duties will include improving the work experience of employees and promoting the healthcare services you work for and dealing with business related to medical supplies, employment, etc. Hospitals, wellness centers, diagnostic centers, clinical laboratories, healthcare facilities, medical-supply industries, research and development centers need healthcare administrators to even exist. If these places were to be run only by the staff, it wouldn’t have lasted long enough to make profit. The opportunities are unlimited. As of 2013, the Bureau for Labor Statistics noticed that 3 million jobs have been added to this sector since 2000. It is in fact one of the fastest growing industries with so many jobs becoming available as you read through. The attractive benefits that come with this career may include health insurance, exclusive memberships and discounts.
The Skills that make one a Healthcare Administrator
Healthcare Administrators represent their company and therefore are required to be professional and lead their team to success. They are required to assign the employees with responsibilities and guide them through the daily proceedings. The health care sector is an ever changing arena. The healthcare administrators are required to stay updated on the new laws and policies. Research and development have brought many new advanced techniques and instrument to the field of medicine; it is the health care administrator’s duty to keep up with modern and efficient equipment to optimize the service on a business perspective. Healthcare administrators need to have an eye for detail because they need to periodically implement new budgets and recruit employees. They need to keep track of the health care centers trade and progress. Improvement of the work environment for the benefit of the patients and employees must be undertaken by the healthcare administrator itself. They must also handle any exceptions and tend complaints from any source. Depending on the circumstance, the healthcare administrator must help provide the best advice possible for the growth of the health care service.
Healthcare Administration Jobs
The currently available positions for a healthcare administrator after certification are:
- Certified Patient Account Manager/Technician – this post entitles a healthcare administrator to monitor the gross income and money flow of a hospital or wellness center. This is an entry-level position. The healthcare administrator will head a team of employees and ensure that there is no discrepancy involved in the records and bills of patients in a hospital.
- Certified Clinic Account Manager/Technician – a healthcare administrator who takes up this position will assist the doctors in managing the paperwork involved, prescriptions and cash related responsibilities of the clinic. This is also an entry level position where the healthcare administrator is usually given a staff to supervise or is a single-person job depending upon the specialization of the clinic.
- Certified Compliance Technician – the complaints and issues regarding patient care and money-related errors that occur in any healthcare center requires a healthcare administrator with this post to help solve these problems. This is one of the common positions available to healthcare administrators who have a few years of experience.
- Certified Healthcare Facilities Manager – the medical supplies and other resources pertaining to a healthcare facility are taken care of by the healthcare administrator in this position. They are required to have several years of experience to get this job. It is one of the highest paying jobs in the healthcare sector.
Certification in Healthcare Administration Management
Certification is not necessary for all jobs in Healthcare Administration Management. But it is necessary that you get certified if you are looking for a job that requires a proof of your skills and qualification. It is offered by many institutions. The requirements vary from state to state; generally you need to clear a licensing examination, produce certificates of education (bachelor’s or master’s degree in Healthcare Administration) and undergo training to be recognized as a professional Healthcare Administrator in your state. You can obtain the certificate online also. The American College of Health care Administrators and the American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management offer offline and online certificates respectively.
The pride and perks of being a Healthcare Administrator
As is any job in the medical and health care sector, you can be proud that you are helping save peoples life – indirectly. By taking care of all the budget and business related to the health service. You will be a part of the lucky few who get to decide the best method of treatment by optimizing the cost incurred. Healthcare Administrative Managers will be in the most influencing position and their decision matters the most because look out for the medical staff and the patients too.
Your paycheck looks superb in Healthcare Administration
The average salary of a healthcare administrator is $100,000 a year (according to a study conducted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2011). But the fact that a healthcare administrator’s salary increases substantially based on their experience and geographical location – is promising because on an average $50 an hour is a good start for your career. You can look forward to earning $144,000 and above depending on your employer and level of expertise. If you wish to earn equivalent to what you expect then it is highly recommended that you complete your Masters in Healthcare Administration. If you only have a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration you are eligible for entry level positions such as an assistant healthcare manager. You don’t want that! Your paycheck should reflect all the hard work and money you’ve put into being what you are. There are ample number of healthcare professions, you may choose to do whatever profession you want as per the demand. The sources are RegisteredNurseWebsite.com for Registered Nurse and other Nursing Programs