Health Care Administration Programs and Degrees
The field of healthcare administration has seen more number of success rates in the career perspective than any other management field. The increasing number of healthcare centers that are being set up to provide treatment specific to certain medical conditions drives the need for more number of health care administrators. There are two types of programs: online and offline. The online programs are similar to offline programs and the only difference is the mode of education. Students have a wide range of programs to choose from, for example certificate courses, associate degrees, etc. The health care administration schools offer doctorate-level programs too.
Certificate Programs in Healthcare Administration
- Medical Management: This program is specially designed for physicians and other medical personnel to advance from their medical background in the management of health care services. Candidates gain knowledge on skilled planning and improving the quality of the treatment and work environment. Some schools offer this program, but it is mostly found in universities which provide adequate training and support to become a fully qualified professional.
- Graduate Certificate in Health Management: This program capacitates students who have an interest in managing health services and public healthcare organizations. It serves them with knowledge of medical law, policy implementation and adapting to the changing policies. Organizing and improving the experience of the public and the staff and improvising the budget to enable a problem-free service, also count as the highlights of this course. This program may take 18 months to complete from an accredited healthcare administration school or management school.
Apart from these programs, there are several other specialized certificate courses available to graduates and working professional. The programs differ from school to school. Most of these programs are accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME).
Associate Programs in Healthcare Administration
- Associate of Science in Healthcare Administration: This program coaches the students on the administrative principles involved in running a medical service and help in enforcing the financial proceeds and policies in the workplace.
Other associate programs in health care management include: associate degree in arts and associate degree in applied science. These programs get you an entry-level job in a hospital or public healthcare service.
Under Graduate Programs in Healthcare Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration (BSHA): this degree is awarded by healthcare administration schools or universities. It includes all the foundational principles of marketing, medical law and policies, administration and organization needed to fetch the participant an entry-level position at any healthcare center in the private or public sector. This course also focuses on general education and elective requirements which bring 120 semester-credit hours to students. This number varies between states and is quintessential for writing the licensure exam set by the respect Health Care Management/Administration Board of your state. The duration of this program is 3 years and the most commonly opted degree among students who wish to enter the healthcare industry.
Graduate Programs in Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration (MSHA): is an advanced-level professional degree which is awarded by most of the health care administration schools and universities. It is a comprehensive program which imbibes in the students the knowledge to manage and lead a health care service. It educates health care administrators on population health, healthcare dynamics and policies. Governance and organizational qualities are the two important qualities needed to solve any health care issue that may arise in their career. There are several elective coursework that can be taken up by students based on their choice of career. The rate at which health care administrators are opting for this program has been studied and statistical data have been arranged by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and they depict that from 2008 to 2018 there will be a 16% increase in the career opportunities for healthcare administrators with graduate-level education. An MSHA degree can be completed within a matter of 3 years.
Doctorate Programs in Healthcare Administration
- Doctor of Healthcare Administration (DHA): This program allows ambitious healthcare administrators to pursue careers in teaching and formulate public and private policies and head sophisticated organizations. This program takes up to 4 years to complete. But it is available to graduates in health care administration who have had a minimum of 5 years of experience in the field.
Online Programs in Healthcare Administration
Online programs are also available for the above-listed programs. The degrees are awarded after education through web seminars, online coursework and practice tests. The students are awarded the respective degree under the States’ Board of Health Care Administration. It is of shorter duration and costs lesser than the regular courses. Please keep in mind that not all online programs are accredited by the Board of Healthcare Administration or CAHME. The most popular online courses are the certification and Diploma courses in Healthcare administration which may last up to 2 years or more
All health care administrators are advised to clear the licensure exam set by their state’s Board for Healthcare Administration. This ensures that they won’t miss out on any career opportunities that come their way.